Print Close
How Do I Enroll My Child in School?

If the school is in your neighborhood

To locate your LAUSD school of residence, use the School Finder.

If the school is not in your neighborhood, there are several enrollment options:

Choices Program
Residents of the LAUSD may participate in the Magnet, Permits with Transportation (PWT) and Public School Choice (PSC) Programs.  Student Integration Services Website.

School For Advanced Studies (SAS)
These District programs are designed for students identified as gifted, highly gifted, and/or students who demonstrate superior academic achievement with appropriate documentation.  Gifted/Talented Programs Office Website.

Open Enrollment:
Schools with designated available seats will accept applications during May. In schools where applications exceed space, a random drawing will be held in June. Open Enrollment Website

Charter Schools
Charter schools are public schools with an innovative, rigorous standards-based and standards-aligned curriculum authorized by LAUSD and approved by the State of California. To apply, contact the school directly. Innovation and Charter Schools Division Website 

Under new law, the entrance age requirements for kindergarten have changed as follows:  

For 2012-2013:  Students must be five on or before November 1, 2012.
For 2013-2014:  Student must be five on or before October 1, 2013.
For 2014-2015:  Student must be give on or before September 1, 2014.

Thereafter, the age requirement remains on or before September 1st of the year in which the child wishes to enroll.  Under District policy, there are no exceptions to this age requirement for kindergarten

Permits and Student Transfers:

The permit application period for the 2010-2011 school year closed on September 24, 2010.

The applications for the 2011-2012 school year became available March 1. 

OUTGOING inter-district permit application period will close on April 30, 2011.  The only application available after that date is for Parent Employment.

INCOMING inter-district permits do not have a closing date and are available throughout the year.

Please read the information related to the permit process to ensure that all needed documents are provided. Incomplete applications will not be processed and will be abandoned after 30 days.

For more information and access to the application, please visit:  

Published on 09 May , 2012