Each student and employee has a right to learn and work in an environment that is free from unlawful discrimination. No District student or employee shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination on the basis of actual or perceived sex, sexual orientation, gender, or gender identity or expression.
Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 is one of several federal and state anti-discrimination laws that ensure equality in education. Title IX prohibits discrimination, harassment, exclusion, denial, limitation or separation based on sex or gender. Title IX applies to both male and female students in any educational institution receiving federal funding.
California Education Code Sections 200 through 282 and Los Angeles Unified School District Board Policy prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, sexual orientation or gender. Title IX requires that every school district or institution have a Title IX Bullying Complaint Manager to whom concerns or complaints regarding sex discrimination can be made.
• Students or parents/guardians should report their verbal or written Title IX complaint to the school administrator or Title IX Bullying Complaint Manager within six months from the date the incident occurred. Complainants have a right to a timely and informal resolution at the school site.
• If the complainant is dissatisfied with the school-site or Educational Service Center decision, the complainant may file a written Uniform Complaint Procedure (UCP) complaint form directly with the Educational Equity Compliance Office. This will begin the informal investigation process which must be completed within 60 days.
• An appeal of the Educational Equity Compliance Office's findings may be made to the California Department of Education - Office of Equal Opportunity.
Where Can Students/Parents Obtain Further Information or Assistance?
• At Your School: Speak to the Administration or Title IX Complaint Manager.
• At Your Local District: Speak to the Educational Service Center Operations Coordinator/Title IX Designee.
• At the Central Office: Speak to the Educational Equity Compliance Office at (213) 241-7682