Work Permits

Contact: Work Experience Office
Office: 333 S Beaudry Ave., 25th Floor 
LA, CA 90017
Phone: (213) 241-7053
FAX: (213) 241-3390


Issuance of Work Permits

I. General Work Permits

If a high school student needs to obtain a general work permit during the school year, the student needs to go to the high school he/she is currently attending.  If the student is currently attending a middle school, the student needs to go to their home high school.  To work, the student must be at least the age of 14 (except for entertainment, agricultural and domestic work).  The central office (Beaudry) only issues work permits during spring, summer and winter breaks.  The following link provides parking directions to the central office (Beaudry):

We are located at 333 South Beaudry Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90017 on the 25th floor.  On the 1st floor, the STUDENT needs to let security personnel know that he/she is requesting a work permit.  We are opened from 8:00 am to 4:45 pm.  However, for expedited service, it is encouraged that the STUDENT arrives between 8:00 am to 11:30 am or 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm.  Aside from the aforementioned hours, a STUDENT who brings his/her PARENT(S) will also receive expedited service at any time during our regular operating hours.

NOTE: For summer of 2014, there will be satellite locations issuing work permits on certain dates (please note their dates of operations).  For hours, please call the center.  Please click the following link for the locations:

When requesting the work permit, the STUDENT must bring the following:

1) Completed Statement of Intent to Employ Minor and Request for Work Permit (B1-1) form- make sure that the parent and the employer have signed the form- you can download the form by clicking the following link:


2) A current ID card (i.e. school, DMV, passport)- CHECK CASHING ID CARDS ARE NOT ACCEPTED!!!!!

3) Proof of birth date (i.e. birth certificate, ID with birth date on it, official school record with birth date on it)

II. Entertainment Work Permits

When schools are closed for spring, summer and winter breaks, our office can assist in completing part of the entertainment work permit application (please click the following link for the entertainment work permit application:  For Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) students, we can supply school records verification (we CANNOT supply health information- you would need to seek verification from a certified doctor).  If you are a non-LAUSD student (charter, private, home-school), you need to bring an official copy of your grades and attendance.  Lastly, all students need to bright their ID along with the parent signing the request.

To obtain the entertainment work permit at our central office, please make an appointment with our office by calling (213) 241-7053.  During the summer of 2014, you also have the option to make an appointment at a satellite work permit location, please see the following link for locations (please note the dates of operations- please call the center for hours):

Once you receive verification from our office and a certified doctor, the actual entertainment work permit is processed and issued by the State of California's Division of Labor Standards Enforcement Department (the 2nd page of the application indicates the process on getting the actual entertainment work permit).  For more information on entertainment work permits, please call (818) 901-5484.

III. General Questions

If there are any additional questions, please call the Work Experience Education Office at (213) 241-7053.



Work Experience Education Office



Summer 2014 Satellite Work Permit Office Locations

General Overview of Student Work Permits


Students who are under 18 years old are required to apply for a work permit in order to work. (Exceptions would include minors who have graduated high school or have passed the California high school proficiency exam.) If you know you have a chance of being hired or have been offered employment, you need to see the Work Experience Coordinator at the high school to ask for an “Intent to Employ Minor and Request for Work Permit” form, B1-1 (usually on green paper). This form requires signatures from the employer, the parent or guardian, and school personnel who have work permit issuing authority – usually the Work Experience Coordinator. This form also requires Worker’s Compensation Insurance of the employer. This insurance pays for worksite injuries, and is required of employers before a work permit (form B1-4) is issued. This work permit is usually good until 5 days after the new school year starts, unless specified sooner on the permit.


Work permits are a privilege, not a right, and many times good school attendance and grades are required by the Work Experience Coordinator before one is issued. Some schools may put a student with poor attendance or grades on probation until they improve. Work Permits may be revoked whenever the health, safety, morals, or education of the student is at risk.


For students who are in middle school, you need to go to your home LAUSD high school to obtain your work permit.  Call your local high school to make an appointment to get your work permit processed.

For more information, see the Work Experience Coordinator at your high school. A good website to visit for information on Child Labor Laws is